Hey team,

Over here at MapBox we were inspired by Martjin's great post on identifying
TIGER deserts[1], so we're attempting to effectively identify TIGER deserts for
the rest of the continental U.S. (sorry Hawaii + Alaska, you're next). The goal
is to create a slippy map from zoom level 2 to 15(?) such that it's easy to
find the places in need of the most love.

We have a osmium-genereated postigs database with all ways tagged as highway=*
and their version number. The plan to run the analysis against a 5x5 km grid,
although we will probably play with the size of the gridcell. Another option
might be to conduct the analysis and varying levels of granularity.

We're still consiering different methods of analysis - the goal being to
normalize way density to display better identify TIGER deserts. We'd would love
your thoughts / input / reactions. A few ideas we've tossed around / are
activley pursuing:

- percent of version 1 and/or 2 ways in each gridcell
- average number of version 1/2 ways per gridcell
- using a threshold value(s) similiar to Martjin's approach
- [your ideas here]

Ultimately we'd like showcase the rendered results in site that would make
editing TIGER deserts easy. For now though this is just a heads up and an
invitation if you have any thoughts on how better to identify TIGER deserts.

thanks!

[1]: http://oegeo.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/binders-full-of-tiger-deserts/
--
ian villeda