On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM, David E. Nelson <denelso...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I've run into a bit of a wrinkle plotting the routes of the Alaska Marine
> Highway System.  The street data for Wrangell, AK seems to have been
> horribly mangled.

When pointing out a place on the mailing lists, it is always useful to
include a permalink. I assume you are talking about this area?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=56.4782&lon=-132.3743&zoom=14&layers=M

I see no mangling of OSM data here, just unedited TIGER roads. This is
particularly terrible TIGER data though. Some roads are off by over
300 meters.

Since there are only a handful of ways that have been touched by a
human, I could do a complete reimport of the city from 2012 TIGER
data. The 2012 data seems to have an offset of less than 10 meters
compared to Bing and for all I know, that might be Bing's fault.
Either way it would be a massive improvement. Thoughts?

Toby