I personally think that the letter shouldn't be stored in the "ref" tags on the
ways as they could be considered as an internal designation that just happens
to make it onto the route shields.  Maybe the letters could be added as an
additional tag like "ref:txdot=I 35-V"?  They are so small that nobody but the
roadgeeks are really going to notice or pay attention to them to be honest.  I
mean, do people in Texas really say "take the next right @ I-35-V Business"?  I
highly doubt it.  I mean, I could seriously go around like crazy here in the
Pittsburgh area (or anywhere else in PA) adding the little "SR XXXX" numbers
into the ref tag that are on small little signs, but I don't. (example of one
of those signs: http://goo.gl/maps/FFtfy)  And if I do add them, I add them in
a tag something like this: penndot_ref=XXXX (A way with this tag:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/171870239), but would have no problems
changing them all to "ref:penndot=SR XXXX" (with or without the "SR" part).
Those are considered internal route numbers (since they get reused in different
districts) here. That said Clay, you've might have one of them wrong.  This way
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/155807977/history), you labeled it as
"I 35-V Business".  However, it's a Business route of I-35W, not mainline I-35
right there per this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/5161690779/
I personally think that the relations are fine as is as that's sensible IMO.
But I wouldn't also mind if the "route inventory" letters were separate from
the ref tag in that as well like how I mentioned above.  Especially if routing
software ever starts using the relations for routes. Also Clay, think how the
routing software is going to handle this when they give directions, especially
the speaking GPS's.  I honestly think all of them are going to choke badly on
the non-standard ref tags with the "-V" in them.  That's why I think my
suggestion above might be the best way to go for everybody.  Leave the main
routes in the Ref's, and add the "route inventory" letters into a separate tag
or just the relation. -James