> We just had this conversation a couple threads ago. This sort of land
> ownership border doesn't really belong in OSM because we can't improve it.

In OSM as a whole, or just in the US? When I peruse the various
hiking/path/trail tagging portions of the Wiki, I found this:

" Since the tagging is generic, it is up to each country to decide how to
map the hiking networks that exist in their country onto the hierarchy of
national/regional/local. For countries with no specific
local/regional/national "walking network" (... that would be the US,
although there is Federal Trails Register), it may be helpful to consider
whether different trails are managed or funded by government bodies at
different levels."

And the usually, this is define by the "ownership", and in this case, not
necessarily who has 'title' to the land, but who has management
responsibility - so perhaps "ownership" doesn't precisely capture the
semantics, as compared to "management". The Wiki has a plethora of tagging
attributes <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking>, most of which are
defined by this aspect of management. ( If you are curious how this
semantics has already been described as attributes by working groups from
trail organizations, NGOs, corporations, city, county, state, and federal
agencies see:   ... mostly after about a decade of arguing like on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Path_controversy
:-) see
http://www.nps.gov/gis/trails/Doc2/FTDSAttributeOverview-DataAttributesGroupedbyFunctionalCategoryB.pdf
- the full process of how group of people came to an understanding about
what goes in or out of the map is here <http://www.nps.gov/gis/trails/>.

 And if you drill down into the categories and attributes that are already
in OSM, internationally, they are pretty much driven by what Derrick call
'ownership' (management).

Which means you could capture these attributes with a relatively simple
rectilinear polygon ( an artifact of the PLSS) encompassing several hundred
if not thousands of square kilometers and thousands of miles of trail
system with low dataspae and maintenance impact, or you could attach all
those individual attributes to each and every segment.

> As a hiker, I also think the data have value because it is important to
> know where you will get shot at if you cross over.

... not just to you, but everybody particpating in the annual  $730 Billion
Active Outdoor Recreation
Economy<http://www.outdoorindustry.org/images/researchfiles/RecEconomypublic.pdf>.
Gee, I wonder if there are any potential OSM contributors in there some
where ... ?

> The correct way to do this is to mix it into the dataset you use when
> creating data for your Garmin Oregon. That way you get the most up-to-date
> and correct information direct from the people that make the rules.

And thereby essentially isolate any of the 'improvements to the map' made
by that individual and their user community.

> We just had this conversation a couple threads ago. This sort of land
> ownership border doesn't really belong in OSM because we can't improve it.

That would seem to indicate social, process and technology issues which can
be addressed systematically. But for every mention of '... it doesn't
belong in OSM', even in my very short exposure (weeks) perusing the Wikis
and maps, I find examples already in OSM.

> > It's already in OSM because some people imported the BLM data so they
> could see national park boundaries.

Because the National Parks are important to people. All parks are
important. All outdoor access is important to people. NPS, NFS, BLM, state
DNRs, all manage recreation land.

I disagree. If we can't improve it then the only thing it can do is sit in
> the database and become wrong.

I have been perusing the various tool sets in and around OSM, bots,
taginfo, and several examples like Green2Go, validation routines in the
editor and everyone of these could be potentially applied to any other type
of OSM data, Id the backend of OSM DBs on computer servers or somefolks poking
sharp sticks into wet clay and the baking it<http://formaurbis.stanford.edu/>?
:-)

Michael Patrick
Data Ferret