There is at least one town in the USA, Carmel, California (sometimes called "Carmel-by-the-Sea" as there is also a Carmel Valley which is a half-hour drive from Carmel inland). Carmel does not use addresses per se using house numbers. I have no idea how the Post Office does things -- it really must be quite annoying to them, but they evidently manage somehow.

At least in the business district, you'll hear a description of where a business is located as something like: "On Dolores between Fifth and Sixth." That's how I've heard it on at least one radio ad.

Clearly, in Carmel (and perhaps Council Hill, Oklahoma?), we'll need to leave the addr:housenumber out of OSM's data entirely, as there really is no such thing. Some houses may have or be reasonably well-known with what fits into OSM as an addr:housename, and indeed there may even be a scheme (same one used by the Post Office?) which does something similar to what the radio ads do for businesses. For example, a particular residential house in Carmel might be assigned as an address node tag:

addr:housename=Casanova Street, East side, third house south of 9th

I'm whole-cloth inventing this as an example, and again, it would be good to know what the Post Office does. (Or even 911, if it is discernable, as that might be more definitive as it seems more local). But the main reason I share this knowledge is to demonstrate that there is at least one place in the USA that has no numbered addresses as we commonly experience them.

SteveA
California

This and many other annoying addressing schemes used to be common, but
I thought the enhanced 911 system did away with this sort of thing.  I
did a quick google search and I can't find any address for that school
though.