Dave Hansen <d...@sr71.net> wrote:

> On 02/11/2013 08:34 AM, Michael Patrick wrote:
> > FYI, an official ruling from Mouseland. This email stuff is pretty
> cool,
> > one can actually directly ask somebody who is a Subject Matter
> Expert! ;-)
>
> While I admire the resourcefulness, I do question whether we're doing
> "the right thing" if we are trying to interpret the law in this way.
> We're obviously ill-equipped to do so ourselves.
>
> I know the current turn restriction relations aren't suited for it.
> But, instead of tagging "left turn restriction from X to Y" shouldn't
> we
> be tagging "the pavement has an arrow that says left turn only"?
>
> One of those requires interpretation and is subject to the law
> changing
> or being interpreted differently.  The other is only subject to change
> if someone goes out and scrapes the arrow off the pavement.

Well, you are then placing the burden of interpreting the legal meaning of the
markings on the person who writes the routing software, and who may not even
live in the country in question.  I think the combination of a local mapper,
and, if necessary, checking with the government department regulating such
matters, as was done in this case, is better than the method you proposed.

--
John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to