On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Rick Marshall
<rick.marsh...@verticalgeo.com> wrote:
> I mistakenly sent this to Greg and not the entire list.  So, I'll
> retry it again:
>
> Hello all.  I am still fairly new to OSM, so I don't know all the ins
> and outs.  But I have to ask a question.  Other than Google Mapmaker
> is there any other ways that Google's data gets updated?  I recently
> made several updates of walking trails in a local park here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.58835&lon=-89.88472&zoom=16&layers=M
>
> And I just noticed the other day that the same updates I made to the
> trail system (including the names) within OpenStreetMap showed up in
> Google Maps:
>
>  http://goo.gl/maps/mJJMs
>
> Does Google import any data from OSM?  How do we know the data that is
> subject to this post was in Google Maps first?

Google is of course free to use OSM data just like anyone else... if
they comply with our license. So far they have not chosen to do so and
it doesn't seem likely that they will any time soon. There have been a
couple of instances of Google getting OSM data into their maps though
a 3rd party who was passing off our data as their own. In both
instances Google removed the data quickly once it was brought to their
attention.

Looking at the history of some of the park features you pointed out in
MapMaker it looks like at least some of them have been in there for a
while. I see some that were last touched in September and a couple
that haven't been touched since December 2011.

Toby