On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Matthew Petroff <openstreet...@mpetroff.net
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The City of Baltimore provides a large amount of public domain GIS data
> through
> their data portal [1]. Included are city wide building footprints [2],
> which I
> would like to import into OpenStreetMap. Other users have already started
> importing this data in a less automated way. I confirmed with the city GIS
> office that the data is indeed public domain.

The City of Baltimore data portal claims otherwise.

http://www.baltimorecity.gov/TermsofUse.aspx
"OpenBaltimore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Unported License."

They also include in the Disclaimer, "Commercial use is prohibited without
the prior written permission of the City."

Either one of those is a big red flag.  Can you publish their assurance to
you that the data is actually PD? You'll need to publish compelling
official documentation from the city that can override their published
license.  The license details on the Baltimore data portal web site make
that data an absolute, "NO GO" in my judgement.