ramble++;

Clifford, yes I could sense what you were trying to say: I have a thirty+ year Quality background at Apple, Adobe, IBM, the University of California (and others) as an employee, contractor, subcontractor and consultant. You are doing fine, you just did fine.

OSM does sample edits, and some people listen and pay attention when the tools talk to them: your step 1. OSM does categorize errors (your step 2): both within tools, like JOSM does with Validator, but also longer-term problems that can be solved by both human and one-at-a-time (usually somewhat manually) as well as bot -- bot if small samples are first built and "proven smart" about how they'll be unleashed. A (selfish, but valid) example: "correct (within parameters) all the geographical mistakes to multipolygons in California caught by geofabrik Inspector." A human or a bot might do that if you have some time on your hands, some of which might go towards crafting bots.

But first we pull and tug about what the right set of those samples are. Briefly, assume we can identify and reach consensus upon some. Then we land in a fuzzy part of your step 3 of "determine root cause" so we can get to step 4. Sounds about right, but we have bifurcated (multi-furcated?) into so many root causes that we have to get very plural ("root causes") and then even begin to categorize those. Continuing, we can apply smarts and tools and a quality approach even to those. Such a long-term, multi-rolling approach to quality must continue. This is an important middle about how it both gets talked about and implemented.

(Potential root causes are likely manyfold: a fundamental misunderstanding about the concept and implementation of "multipolygon" is probably one, mapping tools which don't fully express multipolygon concepts across data format translations is probably another, and so on).

There is another thing about Quality which doesn't often get said out loud: "I know superb quality when I [see, experience...] it." That is a sublime, slippery, elusive "don't forget" about the topic. This means finish lines and checkered flags, while they can be reached many ways, usually do so as they make a large number of people happiest. The ones who clearly articulated not only what the finish line is, but milestones along the way and how we cross them. That means consensus, good project management, being stepwise, thoughtful, communicative and achieving a definable goal with harmony. It is much easier talked about than done, but that doesn't make it impossible, just worthy.

Good specifications of finish lines (milestones, hurdles along the way...) are worth a great deal. OSM has some difficulty now articulating the decades-away finish line (which is OK, but let's keep an eye on it), but we can set up short hurdles to hop over during the upcoming intermediates. How we do that is an important part of the next ten or twenty years of OSM (in my opinion).

We can't just say "someday this'll be the best damn map on Earth." We have to say how.

I recently said "no" to an important OSM contributor who wants to do a building and address import. I know for a fact that the data are noisy, obsolete and we can do better, so I said "I'd rather get them right offline first before we import known wrong data." That's the right call. How do I know? I live among the data and because of their age and errors, found them less rather than more useful in the map. Sometimes Quality is that simple. Mostly it is not. I just know using old map data sucks. Upload is the last step, not the first: get it right in your editor offline before you start spilling buckets of paint.

OSM lives and breathes as as Earth's cave wall, we paint our neon tubing and scribbles alike. Think before you upload. Make each changeset a few smart brushstrokes on a shared canvas. Leave the place better than you find it. Your mother doesn't live here. Tinkering with OSM's gears is allowed, especially if you are handy, an artist, a cartographer or a lot of things life has to offer, such as a thinker about Quality.

Many people, long process. Lather, lather, rinse, repeat. Talking about Better can, even should result in Better. I'll close by saying it again: good of you to urge along the conversation in this thread.

ramble--;

SteveA
California