Rick Marshall wrote:
> If we use bing imagery for tracing the road geometry, but Google
> Maps to discover the name of the road is it incorrect to use
> source=google?  You are not tracing a road geometry from
> Google Maps, but you might be using it for other attribute data.

_Do_not_copy_ANYTHING_from_Google_Maps_.

>From the terms you agreed to on sign-up:
"Your contribution of data should not infringe the intellectual property
rights of anyone else. If you contribute Contents, You are indicating that,
as far as You know, You have the right to authorize OSMF to use and
distribute those Contents under our current licence terms."

>From openstreetmap.org/copyright:
"OSM contributors are reminded never to add data from any copyrighted
sources (e.g. Google Maps or printed maps) without explicit permission from
the copyright holders."

>From the Legal FAQ on the wiki:
"Other sources must not be used as the base of any data uploaded to OSM -
whether maps, aerial imagery, or photographs such as Google Street View.
This is because their licences and/or terms of use (contracts) forbid you to
do so. Only sources with compatible licenses - such as US Government
information released into the public domain - may be used as bases for
adding OSM data."

That means _any_ data from Google Maps. Not just street geometries, any
data.

If you have copied streetnames from Google Maps, please let the Data Working
Group know (d...@osmfoundation.org) so that they can remove it from the
database. Thanks.

Richard