On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:

[ ... ]
> As I envision an OSM Ambassador program, the goals would be similar to
> Fedora[1],
>
> Organize OSM participation at events
> Demonstrate OSM to the public
> Promote OSM at local events with talks, handouts and swag
> Promote Switch2osm
>
> Provide training in iD
>

> Funding should be made available to the ambassadors for reimbursement for
> travel and other related expenses. The most likely candidate to handling the
> funding would be the US Chapter of OpenStreetMap. A budget and someone to
> authorize expenditure would be required.

This doesn't have to wait for funding, or permission!  There are
hundreds of OpenStreetMap "ambassadors" reading this list, right now.

1) Start your local OpenStreetMap group.  Meet on a regular schedule.
Monthly is best.  Make your goal, "be available to answer questions
about OpenStreetMap".  Everything else is okay too.

2) Grow your local "ambassador team".  You don't have to do it all
You don't have to do it alone.  Include people in your group who like
to reach out to other groups.  Include people who like to speak at
events.  Include people who can host at a venue.  Share the load.
"Replace yourself" with assistant- and alternate-organizers to
strengthen the local team.  But YOU have to start it.  Just do that
much.

3) Connect with other nearby local groups to share and enjoy.  Drop in
on Serge's group when you are in NYC.  Thank him for starting it!   Do
the same when you travel to other places with local groups.  Welcome
distant mappers when they visit your local area, too.

"Ambassador Program"  Pah!  Just get on with it.  :-)