On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Thomas Colson <thomas_col...@nps.gov> wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dridge
>
> seems to suggest that the appropriate way to tag a ridge is as a way. Any
> thoughts on this? I’m looking at 100+ ridges, wondering how to simplify
> (de-node) yet keep the way roughly following to contours of the feature it’s
> supposed to be labeling.

It would need to be a pretty significant ridge[1] to earn a place in
the OSM data, in my mind.  Elevation and contours belong in other
datasets, like DEMs, etc, where they can be merged later with OSM
data.

De-noding is important.  Labelling might be more of an issue for
render-time, depending on what you mean.  What's your goal?  Add the
named ridges to the map?

[1] Niagara Falls, as a cliff (a kind of a ridge :-)  ).
http://osm.org/go/ZXuwMGJDh-