this is a copy of what i sent to talk@osm
i'd prefer it if further discussion went forward
over there.

i brought up the subject of admin borders in the US over
on talk-us and there was a lot of useful discussion. i think
folks are mostly clear on the issues and tradeoffs, so i'd
like to float a proposal for an evolved approach. i'm moving
the discussion here because it's not just a US thing.

basically, having admin borders mixed into the core OSM
map is problematic for various reasons. in the US, we have
a bunch of uncoordinated imports from different, inconsistent
sources, and a bunch of hand editing that is sometimes well
intentioned, and sometimes accidental, and not always
correct. the resulting map can be quite ugly at times.

there is an argument that some make that because
borders are usually not easily verifiable on the ground,
they don't belong in OSM at all. i'm somewhat sympathetic
with the argument, but i also think that we have a bunch of
data consumers that need/want borders.  many map users,
not so concerned with philosophical purity, expect to see at
least some of these borders in a map.

so the rough outlines of the proposal (feel free to kick this
around) are as follows:

a new database is created under the framework of OSM.
the purpose of this DB is to contain borders. after it is
reasonably complete and data consumers have been
adapted to use it for their admin border needs, the old
admin borders can be removed from OSM core.

it uses the same schema and API so existing tools all
work for editing. it has the same access restrictions as
the current core OSM database; the only barrier to entry
is that you have to learn enough about your editor to
repoint it at this new DB. every member of the OSM
community would retain the same access rights they
have now. the minor barrier to entry, combined with
the fact that it will be impossible to glue border
nodes to other features, will probably address 98 or
99% of the issues we see today.

for the US, we'd probably want to do a fresh build of borders,
mostly from current TIGER although in some areas other
sources might be more appropriate (for example, in
Massachusetts MassGIS is available and probably a better
choice.)

one open question is do we move other borders into this
map? there are lots of things like the New York State
DEC borders for various bits of conserved land, National
Park & National Forest borders, and so forth that maybe
out to move with admin borders. but perhaps we should
start with admin borders only for proof of concept and
to control the amount of work that needs to be done.

richard