James,

I think discussion can only be useful if and when we have a common
understanding of what 'trunk', 'primary', 'secondary' etc. mean to us.
I don't think we're anywhere close to that, looking at the various and
partly mutually contradictory wiki pages on the topic:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_Road_Classification
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_Roadway_Classification_Guidelines
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence
Some user observations / discussion has happened on the respective
Talk pages, and I found some observations here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:NE2/classification_FAQ

As long as we are not aligned on what constitutes the various OSM
highway classes, we don't really have a good argument to make other
than 'it looks too primary-heavy' and it will always be a
back-and-forth based on gut feelings. You can't really have a
discussion that way and expect it to reach a satisfying conclusion.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be addressed. I am saying that if we are,
we should carefully consider what has been said on the topic before so
we don't repeat ourselves, and be prepared for a lengthy discussion.
It would help if someone could take the time to collect and summarize
what is currently on the wiki. Unfortunately I can't volunteer to do
this right now. I will do my best to contribute to the discussion but
my exposure to the U.S. main road system is limited.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM, James Mast <rickmastfa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it just me, or are there way too many primary state highways when some of
> them should really be secondary instead?  The US Highways should normally be
> the "primary"/"trunk" highways and only a few select State Highways should
> be primary or trunk.  To be honest, it seems that 98% of all the State
> highways segments in SC are marked as primary right now.
>
> There is no way almost all of the State Highways in SC can be "primary".
> Just look at almost any other state.  None are overloaded with primaries.
> One of the major routes that sticks out to me is SC-64 near the Savannah
> River Site where it's marked as "trunk" going to the security gate [1].
> Now, if the Savannah River Site didn't exist and the highway was still open
> to the public past that point, I wouldn't agrue the point of it being trunk
> or primary.  But since that segment of state highway goes "nowhere" anymore
> after leaving US-278 going West, this would be a classic case of it having
> to be "secondary", or maybe even being "tertiary".
>
> So, does anybody else agree with me on this subject of "primary overload" in
> South Carolina?  If so, how do we go about fixing this with a reasonable
> approach?  Looking at some of the history of some of the ways, it seems that
> only one user was doing the "upgrade" from secondary to primary/trunk over
> the past 4+ months.  He also did some of this in Georgia, but not to the
> extent as in South Carolina.  Unfortunately, this user did it over 200+
> changesets, so, if reverting was the option, it would take forever I would
> think.
>
> -James
>
> [1] - http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/33.2388/-81.4205&layers=N

Martijn van Exel