Hey guys,

I‘ve tried to solve a mostly related problem in iD last month. I just blogged
about it here: https://www.mapbox.com/blog/common-names-in-id/

You can try it out in iD here: http://openstreetmap.us/iD/master
Just add geometry, and search for a really common name, like K-Mart, McDonalds,
etc.. iD should take care of it for you, using the most used tagging already in
OSM.

For more detail. I made the name-suggestion-index:
https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index which looks at which names/tag
combinations are used most often and tries to promote the most used usage of a
name. This stuff is more concerned about names, but we’re also merging together
different tagging for features. So a place like Subway is used in both
amenity=restaurant and amenity=fast_food, we’re looking at the most common
usage and ignoring anything else. The ‘most correct’ list of names and tagging
is here:
https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index/blob/master/name-suggestions.json

It’s not great right now but I’m still working on improving it to make iD
smarter, and maybe it can be used elsewhere too. It’s mostly a manual process
that I’ve been doing for now but I hope to automate it more, and update it with
every planet update. Right now we’re only concerned with places with names that
have been used more than 50 times, also mostly amenity=* and shop=* tags right
now.

We had some previous discussions along these lines here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2013-November/027519.html
https://github.com/systemed/iD/issues/1949