On 16:04 2014-03-11, Peter Davies wrote:
I thought I would make my proposal stand out a bit more by adding words
to the title.  :-O

There are some weird things, like Nebraska's state law that requires
NDOR to have a state road link to every community of a 100 people or
more. I've changed some "Link 80F" ref tags to "NE 80F Link" and "Spur
nnX" tags to "NE nnX Spur" without having time to do the whole state.

AZ has its "Loop 101" and "Loop 202" freeways for which I would advocate
refs "AZ Loop 101" and "AZ Loop 202".

Texas also has many weird qualifiers on minor state routes but as I've
never contracted there for 511 I'm not totally familiar with them.

Peter

As others have mentioned, we already use unique two-letter state abbreviations as part of relations' network tags. I created a bunch of network=US:OH:LOG:Zane route relations last night (Zane Twp., Logan Co.) and I'm intent on keeping the ways' ref tags a bit shorter than that.

For all I know, Ohio's DOT could be an outlier, but they use "SR 123" notation exclusively, including on variable message signs [1] and at their traffic website OHGO [2].

I've firmly of the opinion that ways' ref tags should not always be considered uniquely identifiable. For something like a traffic reporting application, ways' ref tags should be at most a fallback in the absence of route relations. On the other hand, less qualified refs may be more useful in narrated directions: "Turn left at Link 80F" would be preferable to "Turn left at NE 80F Link." Why bother telling me what state I'm in as I approach the intersection?

It's unnecessary to cram more qualifiers and a rigid syntax into a single field when our data model has much more appropriate facilities for this information. Insisting on uniformity on ways' ref tags only invites data consumers to make poor assumptions. There's a CA 50 in Cantabria, Spain, after all. [3]

That said, I don't find a particularly strong case for leaving bare numbers in ways' ref tags. At least stevea's example of California county routes does already include a network identifier (the "G" in "G2").

[1] https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Operations/Traffic/FAQs/PublishingImages/DMS_Carillon.jpg
[2] http://www.ohgo.com/
[3] http://osm.org/way/4843509#layers=Q

--