I wrote up some editing steps that seem to work and render interactively on OpenRailwayMap in #Editing_Railroads_starting_from_TIGER_data at http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/California/Railroads if any are interested in continuing to grow our rail garden now blossoming across somewhere around fifty states. Call it pre alpha, it certainly does develop. There remains a lot of "still TIGER -- and then some" in our rail around here.

Though it blossoms, there is still so much more to complete.

Greater Los Angeles area still quite rough, "roughly usable" as it is now, Bay Area still a bit ragged but getting better. The state as a whole looks better. And so on.

The rest of that wiki is pretty stubby, needs some updating, too.

I hope I'm not just talking to myself. Those steps work in any state, not just California. Large chunks of North America are lighting up with orange mainline rail, check it out.

Heh:  give us a project.  OSM goes to town on it!

SteveA
California