I have long been on the fence about boundaries in OSM, and while I don't
feel as strongly about it any longer, it still feels wrong to make this
sweeping exception to one of the fundamental conventions of OSM mapping:
verifiability. For many types of land use, anyone would be able to verify
boundaries on the ground: a forest, a corn field, even a retail zone in
most cases. But administrative boundaries can only be observed in a limited
number of places: wherever there is a sign or a physical boundary in place,
and rare other cases. More importantly though, there is an authoritative
source for official administrative boundaries that can be easily accessed
by anyone: TIGER[1]

All of this has little to do with neighborhoods, which are mostly (?)
vernacular in naming and delineation, and even when there are official
neighborhood designations, in my own experience they do not always match
the vernacular names. I support point mapping of vernacular neighborhoods.
If you really want to have shapes for vernacular neighborhoods, you can
look at the now-ancient-but-still-cool flickr Alpha Shapes[2], last updated
in 2011 but still available for download[3]. But please don't upload 'em to
OSM :)

[1] https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger-cart-boundary.html
[2] http://code.flickr.net/2008/10/30/the-shape-of-alpha/
[3] http://code.flickr.net/2011/01/08/flickr-shapefiles-public-dataset-2-0/