stevea writes:
 > I have run into devotees of "old_railway_operator=*" and respect the
 > tag by leaving it be where I encounter it, though I don't go out of
 > my way to add it unless I have absolute positive knowledge of it
 > (rarely to never).

Yeah, it's an NE2 thing which he added automatically by changing the
name of abandoned railroads to old_railway_operator. He's technically
correct because the branch of a railroad, the name it goes by, is
often not the name of the company who operated it. The line that goes
south of Lake Ontario in NY was called the "Hojack", but was operated
by New York Central.

It would be nice if map renderers, when presented with an abandoned
railroad that has no name, rather than follow the USGS practice of
saying "Abandoned Railroad Bed", would look for name= first,
old_railway_operator= second, and only if those two are absent,
rendered the railway as a dotted line labeled "Abandoned Railroad Bed"
just like the USGS does.

 > In California, rail is approximately "early alpha."  For the USA as a
 > whole, I'd say rail is even before that, in an "early development"
 > phase.

New York rail is 99% done. I say 97% because I need to hit some
railroad yards in Buffalo still.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog