On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> On 03/31/2015 08:04 AM, Natfoot wrote:
>> There is so many situations where to his naked eye on the ground he may
>> not be able to see it.  To a person like myself I can still find the
>> signs on the earth of where the railroad once was.
>
> Then map the signs that *are*, but not the railroad which - as you
> correctly say - once *was*.
> Bye
> Frederik

For background, in the USA there is an intermediate step to
abandonment.  A corridor can be "railbanked",
meaning the easements don't expire.  It's not an active railway, but
it can be returned to rail service
via an administrative procedure.  And in fact, that's happened.
Usually however these become trails,
a process that can take decades.