Larry, I think it's important to keep shoulders and bike lanes separate
because they are governed by different rules. I'm assuming those rules are
different state by state, but for example I would think that in many places
it is illegal for motor vehicles to pass in a dedicated bike lane, whereas
passing on the shoulder is permissible (under certain conditions only, of
course). Similar differences probably exist for the rules regarding
stopping and parking. My rule of thumb is: If there aren't any signs or
pavement markings involving bikes, it's a shoulder, not a bike lane. Then
it becomes important to tag attributes of the shoulder such as surface and
width.

 Harald.