On 8/18/2015 10:27 AM, Tod Fitch wrote:
Some other mapper has updated the area to remove the old buildings and streets
and marked the area as under construction. All of that seems correct from what
I’ve read in the paper and what little I can see on the ground.

But it means the area differs from the Tiger data for the area.

And now I am seeing multiple change sets from mappers I don’t recognize as
local re-instating the now missing features. For
example:https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/366208964#map=15/37.3338/-122.0097

To borrow from the "Stop deleting abandoned railroads" thread, nothing should be deleted. <g> But seriously, I now leave an empty way with a note saying that Bing YYYY is out of date. That will head off some problems. Of course, this leaves lots of empty cruft floating around, and discourages new editors who are confused by all the jumble.

> A number of the “fixes” have a mention ofhttp://osmlab.github.io/to-fix/?error=tigerdelta-named#/task/tigerdelta in their change set comments.

A partial technical improvement is that the challenge on osmlab.github.io should only flag missing TIGER data that was added to TIGER since the original 2007 import. But that misses the very real problem when someone accidentally deletes an existing street.

But definitely comment politely on the changeset. I'm a firm believer in the value of armchair mappers and what they're doing. A bit of feedback helps them learn and improve, since I'm sure they mean to do well.

[ PS - 3 out of 5 of the "Bing is right" edits have come from local mappers ]