Paul,

The GPS data is from Scout (US as well as Skobbler / Global) users. It is
collected during navigation sessions as well as in Scout Global ‘free drive’
mode.

The fact that you see incomplete sets is to do with pretty high thresholds we
set for the validity of a tile as a whole. We want to prevent that we present
too many false positives that would make the experience frustrating.

It turns out that Scout is in fact used a fair bit by commercial drivers, so
you’ll see a bunch of tiles depicting access=private service roads on factory
lots and so on. There’s not really a great way for us to filter those out up
front, other than convincing drivers to shut down their nav session before they
enter a private road ;)

If you look closely you’ll also see traces from trains, airplanes etc. People
use Scout in some places we had not really imagined! We try to filter these out
based on speed and we’re improving the algorithm to filter out traces that
match to railways in the future as well.

Thanks for sharing your observations!
Martijn