On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Tom Bloom <tombloo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> -Living Streets. This is a distinct entity and not something decided by OSM.
> They are decided by local administration, and OSM should tag them only after
> that. Paul suggests that there could be townhouses at the end of rural lanes
> in rural Oregon. They are farmhouses and the tag is wrong. Tho I do prefer
> the wrong green tag to the wrong red tag :-).
>
> Almost everywhere that I see people using highway=living_street in the
United States, I think they should be really using highway=service and
service=driveway as you suggest.  I did live in Germany for a while and I
know exactly what is meant by the highway=living_street tag there,
especially because they have a special road sign for them. I have never
come across a living street in the United States.

Access:
Living streets are a type of residential street which are generally public.
Driveways generally have some sort of implied access restrictions.

Ownership:
Living streets are generally owned and maintained by the government.
Driveways are generally owned and maintained by the owner of the adjoining
buildings.

Speed:
Living streets are generally really slow (2-3 mph) because you expect
children to run out at any time.
Driveways are generally faster (10-15 mph), though the speed limit, if any,
is usually set by the property owner.  You expect pedestrians to at least
pause and look before entering the driveway.

Crosswalks:
Living streets don't have crosswalks because the whole area sort of acts
like a crosswalk because vehicles have to always watch for people and yield
to them.
Driveways, especially in larger apartment complexes, can have designated
crosswalks and sidewalks for pedestrians.

Peter