Mike,

I have not seen the Shoulder or Lanes tags in wide use yet. I use the
cycleway tags on the highway line way to denote bike lanes that are part of
the road surface, as it seems your case is. (cycleway:right=lane). Though
in this case it is arguable if the shoulder is a lane. What is certain is
that most cyclists treat shoulders as such.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway

I'm interested in routing and the Open Source Routing Map project. Cycle
and ped routing is especially interesting to me as an athlete, and so I
looked on the ORSM backend for clues on how they're handling shared lanes
and such. Looks like one of these tagging combos will work:
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/8f8bd05f83fa2ccc542c2c44761f548a1e8b7579/features/bicycle/cycleway.feature

Elliott