On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:10:00 -0500
Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OSM is not the ideal tool to be a dumping ground for all GIS data. It
> excels at holding information that users can see, verify and update.
> Boundaries like this cannot be seen or verified by anyone except the
> government agency that originally made them. So the data gains no
> benefit from being in OSM and in fact makes it more difficult to
> update both the boundary data as well as non-boundary data in the
> vicinity.
>
> Yes, we do have national/state/county/city boundaries. Some people
> aren't happy about this either... but they are tolerated because they
> enable geocoding functionality.
>
> Toby

Toby, I am sorry but I think you are making a normative statement here
where it is not useful to do so.

Your statement above would have been perfect if you started it with "To
me, ...".

To me, OSM is a tool which is ideal for relating various information
layers across a multi-dimensional substrate. This substrate is a
two-dimensional geography, which is defined geographically. To me, it
seems perfect for things like borders. There are many kinds of "themes"
that appear in thematic maps, and administrative entities are a useful
theme.

It is very true that, as you say, OSM "excels at holding information
that users can see, verify and update." I think it is also true that
OSM excels at relating abstract themes in a multi-dimensional space.
And OSM is many, many others things as well. Many others would define
it differently and all of those would also be valid and useful.

All of our viewpoints are valuable, and it is more clear that this is
true when we describe our viewpoints as viewpoints, not as norms.

cheers - ray