On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Slack offers an irc gateway if you'd prefer to connect to slack from your
> irc client. Just sign up for the slack team and look in the "integrations"
> section for information about how to connect your irc client.

​Our software consultancy is using Slack for communications both internally
and with the client (who adopted it internally at our suggestion). In
general it s very nice.

1) History evaporates quickly ... unless you have a paid account.​
   This may be good for Corps with (anti)retention policies, but could be a
problem for a FLOSS/OpenData project.

2) The Xmpp / Jabber gateway works with Pidgin etc, but is buggy and
inconsistent in handling of advanced/new  features (re-edited messages
don't re-send; multi-user private chat invites don't, emoji as
:smiley-cat:, display literal as data text with `markdown` only,  ...)
mapping down to traditional and back. I expect the IRC gateway will be
similar. The gateway should not re seen as a a panacea; try it before you
jump hard there!

​I do concur with sentiment of preferring to base open development on open
infrastructure.
​But if the freemium product provides sufficiently better capability, it is
not wrong to use it to enable the project.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1...@gmail.com