* Nelson A. de Oliveira <nao...@gmail.com> [2016-04-28 16:24 -0300]:
> Do you represent [CDPs] (and maybe other statistical boundaries) in OSM?
> If yes, what are you using? (boundary=?, border_type=?, etc)

As people have indicated, practices vary.

I live in a region where very few named population centers have legal
administrative boundaries[0], so a) we have a lot of CDPs, and b) the CDPs
are useful approximations of the geographic extents of places that people
refer to by name on a day-to-day basis.

What I often do (because I've seen others do it) is take the CDPs that
were imported from the US Census's TIGER dataset and change them from
boundary=administrative to boundary=census.  (I also drop the
admin_level=8 tag.)  Most of these places also have a place=* node, which
I don't usually merge with the CDP, mostly for fuzzy personal reasons
like, "The CDPs are useful enough to keep around but I don't always feel
like they're right *enough* to supplant a place node at the rough
geographic center of the place."

[0] In Maryland, the counties tend to perform a lot of administrative
    functions like road maintenance, fire and police services, and school
    operations.  Consequently, there's not a strong need for most
    communities to incorporate so most don't.  Boundaries between adjacent
    populated places are very fuzzy and driven a lot by what the people
    who live there happen to say about themselves.

--- --
There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.