On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> In the American context, this is an edge case, big time.
> ​

​What is old is new again.

Officer housing at old Fort Hamilton (Brooklyn, the Narrows) were laid out
with a Livable Street design before that was a name.  (They had service
alley or mews in the rear and grassy forecourts. The officers were expected
to walk to work on-base in the 1880's - 1910's.) I am familiar with this
because my favorite (maternal) uncle's favorite (maternal) uncle lived
off-post/on-post in old Officers Quarters after the base perimeter had
contracted but it was still Officer country (1928-1930) ... he lived on the
eponymous ​Hamilton Way [1] which is coded highway=footway [2] , which page
on our wiki suggests highway=pedestrian [3] if wider, and cross-references
[4] Path Controversy.
(Per OSM, the house still stands.)

​​ I would lean towards livable_street, since there's no separate sidewalk,
> no reasonable expectation you're going to go more than cycleway speed, and
> the main entries to buildings are on it​

​While 'livable street'​

​is an Urban Design term of at for the concept in some areas, I don't see
it in OSM wiki or taginfo ? [5] .  OSM seems to use the similar
highway=living_street  [6]  for low speed limits, pedestrian as primary but
not exclusive, which doesn't seem to be the case in the grassy-and-walk
shared front yards shown by the original question on thread here (but
without Mews/alley in rear). The living_street examples in OSM wiki appear
to be extreme traffic calming to restore in-street playability to 1950s
suburban, 1930s urban level but still tolerate commuter cars returning home
and a UPS delivery through the street-ball play, which is not the feature
exhibited by original post.​

​[1]  http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/5677149 ​
[2] ​http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=footway?uselang=en-US ​
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpedestrian