From: Valerie Anderson [mailto:vale...@andersongeospatial.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:37 AM
To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] What should we do for wildfires?

Hey all,

I'm a current wildland firefighter but all I do are prescribed fires
here in Florida. In terms of getting ICs using OSM your best bet would
be to get they guys who do fire every week to start using and
contributing to OSM. They're usually the ones tapped for local and
remote wildfires. They also have a ton of data for firelines, land
cover, escape routes, and wetlands. I think you probably won't be able
to get anyone to use OSM for incidents in the US until it's a lot
better, but a better first step would be to get local governments to
quit using their own data/proprietary programs to manage their roads,
streetlights, and routing emergency vehicles and get a few to switch to
OSM. That would make an IC much more likely to rely on OSM for a future
wildfire, particularly if a local burn boss was already familiar with
it.

Cheers,

Val