Sorry if this is duplication: didn't know if my last email went through.

On Jun 30, 2016, at 10:00 AM, Michael Reichert <naka...@gmx.net> wrote:

Hi,

Am Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:20:46 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Schleuss:
The Los Angeles Times will host another import party to push the "Great
L.A. County Import" forward. We've imported more than half a million
buildings with the great help of locals and the folks from Mapbox.

Did each participant use a separate account for this import?

Yes. We have some users who didn't have a separate account, but most are here:
https://github.com/osmlab/labuildings/issues/40
And inside the "stats" pages under each HOT task here:
http://labuildingsimport.com

My focus is to use this import strengthen the Southern California OSM
community. But, the project is open to all. If you're in the area,
please join us.

Do you really believe that this helps the local community? A healthy map has a strong community and a strong community consists out of people who look after their neighbourhood on the map (i.e. keep data up to date).

I do. I've hosted four import events and reached out to a ton of local editors.
Work still needs to be done. Let me know if you have suggestions on how to
strengthen the community further.

Meetup even page Import guidelines Tasking manager I've also been
working to improve our language on why we're doing this. Feedback and
more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Why are we doing this?

• To improve our map! More data will allow more users to create projects
and do analysis on a variety of things. How many units are located
within 1,000 feet of a freeway? What's the average building age in a
neighborhood? What's the tallest building on Sunset Boulevard? The data
will tell you.

• To catch up with other cities! New York has buildings. Seattle has
buildings. San Francisco. Portland. Even Bakersfield has buildings. L.A.
County should too!

• Because a big earthquake is coming. Free and open data will assist
first responders. And later it will allow folks to update the buildings
with tags showing whether they have been destroyed, are dangerous or
have been red-tagged.

Why do buildings have to be at OSM? Is there any problem which prevents you and others to use a free-licensed third party source for building data if you have/want to create an emergency map?

No problems. The buildings will improve the map and will allow a redudant and
maybe better supply of data in the event of a major disaster. For instance, if
Los Angeles is hit with a large earthquake, will the county's GIS servers be
available? Will there be power. Many unknowns here and crowd-sourcing the
disaster's effects seems like a good move. Then anyone can download and make
their own custom map. For instance, I could update my neighborhood with
services and distribute printed maps if power/internet is out. Buildings will
improve a block-by-block map.

• To encourage more edits. Once buildings are in the map, people will be
able to orient themselves to the shapes, making it easier to add more
data, like names or businesses.

Adding POIs also works without buildings on the map. You still have aerial imagery (i.e. Bing). Apart from offline editors like OsmAnd and MAPS.ME, you have an aerial image available at all those editors.

Yes, true. And Los Angles loves the strip mall, which is one building with many
POIs. We're looking at importing active businesses and other items here:
https://github.com/socal-osm

Thanks for comments, Michael.

Jon

Best regards