Hi,

On 09/19/2016 05:13 PM, Adam Old wrote:
> For the most part we would like to send people out using their mobile
> devices and an app like Go
> Map!! https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/go-map!!/id592990211?mt=8
> <https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/go-map%21%21/id592990211?mt=8> or a
> paper survey form that we could then update OSM with. Hopefully this
> would introduce a good number of new people to OSM as mappers and/or
> users.

Sounds like a win-win situation.

Two thinks you should be aware of though:

1. OSM usually maps what is visible on the ground. Whether a tree is
damaged or not, is something an experienced person could probably
determine with the naked eye, so that's ok. If you venture into the area
of rating things ("health of this tree from 1=perfect to 6=rotten") then
it becomes difficult, as people might disagree. Sticking to observable
facts helps avoid problems. "Date last cut" is also something that won't
be visible on the ground and hence isn't strictly something within the
OSM envelope but I guess it's harmless on the scale you're attempting it.

2. Putting data in OSM also means that you're surrendering any authority
over it; others who have no relation to your organisation can and will
modify (hopefully, improve) the data. I assume you'll count that as a
blessing and not a curse and then all is fine. It's just that some
people are peculiar with "their" data ("what, only registered and
trained members of the Springfield City Tree Board can be trusted with
assessing the tree cover, keep out you unwashed public" etc).

Bye
Frederik