On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 5:35 AM, Erik MARONEY, IEA <erik.maro...@iea.org>
wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>

> My name is Erik Maroney and I work for the International Energy Agency
> (IEA).  We are interested in using Open Street Map (OSM) for our road
> infrastructure projections.  We have had a couple of issues so far that we
> are confused about.
>

> 1)       Using R, we set the source to API and downloaded osm.  It seems
> as if some of the roads mapped on the OSM website aren’t being caught by
> osmar (the R package), which interfaces with osmosis (the command line
> tool). Could this perhaps be an issue with the bounding box, or is there
> some other reason why not all the roads are being captured? Any assistance
> with this issue would be very helpful!
>
> 2)      Using the Geofabrik database, it seems all the highways are not
> fully captured, is this just due to missing data?  Because when we go to
> the OSM website, we see plenty of other roads.  This is also true when we
> use the bounding box API method.
>

> Ultimately, the mismatch between the roads (especially highways and
> non-urban roads) mapped directly on OSM versus those we are able to
> download with R is our point of concern. Specifically we would like to come
> up with an automated way to capture all roads that service motorized
> vehicles within certain countries.
>

> The QuadTiles[1] may provide a visual for your potential bounding box
issue.  The area to look at is the intersection of a line and a tile[2].
Depending on your bounding box, you could miss a road if the nodes are in
other areas but the road still runs through your bounding box.  You may
have to use a more detailed configuration for your work.[3]

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/QuadTiles
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/QuadTiles#Indexing_tile_intersections
[3] https://switch2osm.org/