Continuing my replies to this thread.

Greg Troxel writes:
The notion that Town and City are fundamentally different in
Massachusetts is incorrect.   I think that's the long and short of your
basis for commenting, but if I'm off please tell me.

Greg, Massachusetts' entry in US_admin_level's wiki table (the "Big Table") now
reads (thanks, Peter Dobratz!):

4               5               6               7               8
9               10
Mass.   N/A             County  N/A             Town            Precinct
N/A
Mass.   N/A             County  N/A             City            Ward
Precinct

I believe this achieves harmony between what I have read/researched, what Peter
said in the wiki's Discussion page, and what you say here, as both Town and
City are admin_level=8, though they do diverge with 9 and 10 (hence, two
"sub-rows").  Also, none of the six New England states has a "Township" (at
admin_level 7, where it often lives; thanks again Peter).  I believe the table
(in New England) agrees with your other "every bit of land is in exactly one
municipal entity" concern.  (Almost, but not quite:  Vermont, New Hampshire and
especially Maine have exceptions, these are noted in the Big Table's Notes; see
Note 18).  If what the Big Table says (now) in Massachusetts isn't what you
agree with, please continue to further clarify.  (No "hard time" taken here:  I
think we have it about right!)

A subsequent post of Greg's suggests that "villages and hamlets are place names
not administrative divisions."  The Big Table does not list those, so I think
it's OK.  And, YES:  your "key point" that OSM has words (e.g. Town, City) with
OSM-defined meanings, yet "each state may well use those same words to mean
different things, and we have to be careful to separate local language and OSM
language" is so very true:  a "land mine" potentially rife with
misunderstanding and confusion.  This is why it makes sense to be precise and
hash this out in our community.  In that context, one topic to have clearly
emerged is that for "unincorporated areas," OSM is better served by a node with
place=* tagging, rather than a (multi)polygon with boundary=administrative +
admin_level=* tagging.  And the wiki so states, with "rule of thumb" values for
the place=* tag.

SteveA
California