> Albert Pundt <roadsguy99 at gmail.com> writes
> I noticed that the neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are mapped as administrative
> boundaries with admin_level=9. Is this proper? The wiki page for U.S. admin
> levels doesn't list any use for admin level 9 in Pennsylvania, though this
> seems appropriate if Pittsburgh neighborhoods are true administrative
> divisions. It just needs to be documented, or perhaps used elsewhere in the
> state, like with the fairly distinct neighborhoods in Philadelphia.

Albert, I noticed this, too.  There has been recent development of USA
admin_level:  the wiki page you note has been undergoing harmonization, with
the result that as of about three weeks ago, "about 41 out of 50" states
(leaving 9) were believed correct as described in that table.  (And, that was
posted here).  On July 10, Peter Dobratz and I (among others) submitted the six
New England states (of those 9) in a sub-table, which I harmonized into that
wiki's "Big Table."  (Pennsylvania was not included then).  That brought us to
47 states having their values in the Big Table believed correct, with Illinois,
Minnesota and Pennsylvania being the three remaining.

The next day, Illinois was aligned with its Wikipedia article describing
"precincts" in the west central and southern part of the state (so "Precinct"
was entered in Illinois' row in the Big Table; thanks, MikeN).  Minnesota now
has a footnote that while the table is believed correct (Townships exist at
admin_level=7), our map does not contain any (or many) entered Minnesota
Township boundaries.  (But it could, should intrepid mappers wish to enter
them).  That leaves Pennsylvania as the sole state of 50 needing to go through
this "OSM vetting/review of whether its Big Table row is correct," and here we
are.  At least for Pennsylvania's city's neighborhoods.

Albert, one possibility is that you "assert" that admin_level=9 tags on
Pittsburgh neighborhoods are correct, decide to document this in our wiki by
modifying the Big Table to say so (wiki-editing these tables can be tricky) and
leave the neighborhoods tagged as they are now in the map.  So when you ask "is
this proper?" I'm not sure if you are asking if 1) these neighborhoods actually
exist as "government units," 2) whether 9 is the right value or maybe 10 is
correct, or 3) whether it only SEEMS improper because the Big Table doesn't
list "Neighborhood" in Pennsylvania's row in the 9 column.  If these are real
neighborhoods, and tagging them 9 is what is going on "on the ground," then I'm
OK with "backfilling" the table with that entry, as it asserts what the rest of
the Big Table now does:  "Here is what OSM believes admin_level tagging SHOULD
BE (not necessarily is entered into the map) on all fifty states, DC, five
territories, and all their subdivisions."  You can change that table entry, or
if you ask me to do it because you believe it correct (it is Pittsburgh's
on-the-ground reality), I can do it.  Not just Pittsburgh, but Philadelphia
having neighborhoods, either in real life or tagged in the map, is also
credible evidence to enter the value "Neighborhood" in Pennsylvania's Big Table
row entry for the 9 value, too.

However, OSM has been selecting 10 instead of 9 for neighborhoods, leaving
something like 9 for Precinct or Ward, this is true in New Orleans (but
unentered in OSM), which has both, for example.  So while I am simply "one
(informed) observer" here, (with a concomitant "only one vote" for this), I'd
suggest that Pittsburgh neighborhoods be retagged with admin_level=10 instead
of 9.  Again, that's just me, but there is good precedent to do so.

It should be reiterated that US_admin_level wiki Big Table entries are
"believed correct values" (through research, a Wikipedia explanation, law, OSM
consensus, or best:  some good combination of all of these) AND that there are
places in our map where the myriad of subdivisions listed there (e.g. townships
in Minnesota) have not been entered into OSM, but could/should be.  The values
of 2 (federal/national) and 4 (state) are believed 100% correct, as are perhaps
99+% of value 6 for county or county equivalent.  Many values of 7 (township)
are missing, that is a frontier of effort for OSM to continue to complete.
Most values set to 8 (city/town) are entered and correct, though we likely need
more.  And boundaries with admin_level 9 and 10, representing wards, precincts
and neighborhoods (where they truly exist as governmental units) are another
frontier which need to be identified and entered, though OSM is doing that work
right now (to wit).  Some minor discussion/tune-ups (like this) should not
surprise or alarm us.

The good news is that the Big Table can be said to be believed by OSM consensus
to be "very nearly correct."  I'd guess only very minor changes to it will be
required going forward.

I endeavor to be crystal clear here, but these can be complicated topics to
explain, so if you have further questions, please email me off-list.

Regards,
SteveA
California