On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 4:31 AM, Horea Meleg <horea.me...@telenav.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> This is Horea and I am part of the mapping team at Telenav.
>
> To make OpenStreetMap more navigable and accurate in guidance, our mapping
> team is planning to start editing in Phoenix.

Do you mean the City of Phoenix or the metro Phoenix area?  There is plenty
of work to do in both.  However, I'd like your team to stay awhile and work
on the metro area.  ;-)

In the next weeks we will focus on road geometry, road name, oneways,
> signpost, speed limit, lanes and turn lanes.
>
> This is where you come in! Beside the general OSM mapping guidelines (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page, ht
> tp://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features), do you have any local
> mapping guidelines for us? Also, we appreciate any hints regarding
> available local or government data that we might be able to us.
>
> We'd love any input and advice!
>

>  On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

> turn restrictions, missing roads (if any), one-way roads, traffic signals,
> some carto features such as parks.

Hans Dekryger is a mapping force.  I think he maps all those features
except turn restrictions. Hans has done a great job of adding dual carriage
ways to metro Phoenix.  Most of the turn restriction and traffic flow
entries are false positives.  I see many no left turns suggestions where a
dual carriage way comes together. Only a few drivers make the u-turn.  It
would be incorrect to add those restrictions.

> As always we will respect local mappers’ work above everything.

Thank you for your concern.

> Sources will be Bing / DG, OpenStreetCam, Mapillary,

 https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/109740061
Bing is your best bet.  Digital Globe is not even competitive.
If you look at the new ASU Law building, you can see that Bing has the
building under construction. DG premium show the area as a green parking
lot. DG standard shows the footing being dug.  DG is great for rural areas
but not here.  Bing is actual airplane flyovers around 2014 .  The new ESRI
imagery is newer but it does not let you overzoom.  Bing will still give
you tiles to zoom 20.  ESRI has newer data to zoom 17 and then shows the
same DG standard for 18. Overzooming only provides white tiles.

ImproveOSM (GPS based detections) augmented with government data where
> possible (which is where Horea’s question came from).
>

> Where possible we will publish MapRoulette / Tasking Manager jobs for
> anyone to participate.

The Phoenix area was hit hard by the chdr changes.  Fredrick lists affected
streets as Arizona but there are only three small outliers: Yuma, a few
along Mexico, and Tucson.  The rest were sub-prime rate subdivisions that
chdr either added the geometry and name or just the name.  The tiger2015
layer is more than adequate to cover these names.  I have set all  name
tags to chdr_USA_AZ_name_fixup_required because the rest of the metro
Phoenix are pockets.  You can use any number of tools to search and repair
the name.  Other than this issue I cannot think of any potential
MapRoulette challenges.

> If you have any (other) specific insights to share, like locally specific
> mapping practices, things on the ground that are different / specific to
> the area, data you’ve worked with, let us know. Thanks!

 Remove all the tiger tags when you are done with a street.  Add surface
tags and lanes if you can. I use surface tag of dirt verses tracks.  I
started using the dirt surface tag when the town of Tonopah disappeared on
http://tripmaker.randmcnally.com/ . Tripmaker will let you route over dirt
but tracks do not display.

You really cannot use blue tiles like you would else where.  Most all of
our flood plains are recreation areas such as golf courses, and area mini
parks.  Most of the small neighborhood green looking mini-park areas are
dual use.  They are a catch basin during heavy rains but function as a
park.  Here is an example https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/YychJAU-Vwq_
3LVkTCiVHg . Although it is hard to see all the water and park features
because of the basis feature.

> Another way you can help is drive around and capture OSC / Mapillary in
> the area (duplicate coverage welcome) even though OSC coverage is already
> pretty good (mostly thanks to Greg).

I have not been able to keep up the OSC submissions.  They are just a save
subset of my Mapillary runs.  You will want to use Mapillary.  WSP is an
engineering firm out of Chicago.  They have/had a contract to so some work
around here.  They used Mapillary to get street imagery. cookry and wsp-us
are the same person.   In the wsp-us runs Ryan used two cameras: front and
back.  You'll have more than 2.1 million photos to work from in the the
metro Phoenix area and surrounds.

Regards,
Greg