Howdy folks,

I'm looking for advice on how to tag properly a complex lane condition.

I 85 northeast of Atlanta (both NB and SB) has an express lane[1][2] that
extends for many miles (sample section located here:
https://osm.org/go/ZSAYLN0I0-?m= ).  The lane is not barrier separated from
the normal traffic lanes; a solid double white paint stripe is the legal
"barrier" for the lane, with dashed sections every few miles representing
the "entrance/exit" section (visible in Mapillary imagery for the above
linked segment).

Legally allowed to use the lane are:
* vehicles with electronic toll cards (PeachPass [GA], SunPass [FL],
QuickPass [NC]), except those in the prohibited categories
* vehicles with 3 or more occupants, with or without a toll card
* motorcycles, with or without a toll card
* emergency vehicles (ambulances, etc.)
* Alternative fuel vehicles WITH the special AFV license plate (does not
include hybrids), with or without a toll card

Specifically prohibited from the lane are:
* vehicles with more than 2 axles
* vehicles with more than 6 wheels

So, it is both a toll lane and[3] an HOV lane.

To add to the fun, at GA 316, there is an express-lane-only on/off ramp set.

Someone has added the following FIXME tag to the relevant section of I 85:
 "add separated HOT lanes, adjust lane count"

My questions are:

* Should this lane be drawn as a separate way?  Legally, you cannot enter
or exit the lane except at the designated sections, so drawing it
separately makes things simpler for routers.  If it's drawn separately, a
pair of motorway_link roads would need to be added at several places (the
dashed-stripe sections).  The Lanes wiki page[4] seems to say that it
should be drawn separately:  "If one or more lanes of the road are
restricted to high-occupancy vehicles (typically vehicles with 2+
occupants, although this varies by jurisdiction). Most useful if
entrance/egress is permitted at any point along the route; if entering or
exiting the HOV lane(s) is only permitted at certain locations, modeling
the HOV lane(s) as separate ways is preferable."  (Even though that says
HOV, the same reasoning appears relevant for toll.)  Does everyone concur
with this construction?

* How should access tags be set?  Assume for the discussion that the
express lane is NOT drawn separately (the current case); it is easy to
visualize how the tags would look if it's drawn separately.  Right now,
there is only a "hov:lanes=designated|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes" tag.
Considering that tolled non-HOV vehicles can use the lane, should that tag
be left or removed?  If it's left, then
"access:lanes=no|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes"[5],
"motorcycle:lanes=designated|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes",
"afv:lanes=designated|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes" and probably
"hgv:lanes=no|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes" should be added.  Just how do you tag
access restrictions for something that is "Toll OR HOV OR motorcycle OR
AFV"[6]?  (And, do we need a separate HOV tag for high-passenger counts?
HOV:count=3?)

As a separate item, in my spare time, I'm going to try to put together wiki
page proposals for AFV (Alternative fuel vehicle) and PTV (Personal
transportation vechile; i.e., golf carts and similar that can be driven on
public streets) if I can find the time.

Feedback, comments, questions: all are welcome.
--Jack

[1] http://peachpass.com/peach-pass-toll-facilities/about-i-85-express-lanes
[2] https://dps.georgia.gov/i-85-expres-lanes-hot-lanes
[3] A grammatical "and," not a logical one.
[4] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes
[5] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated  in the
"only hov=* vehicles" example.  But perhaps this tag should be left out?
[6] A logical "or," not a grammatical one.