On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Peter Dobratz <pe...@dobratz.us> wrote:
> > Ilya,
> >
> > Here's a Walmart that's been built in the last few years I recently
> added to
> > OSM:
> >
> > http://audit.osmz.ru/browse/walmart/5935
> >
> > What's currently in OSM represents my own mapping style, but I think it's
> > worth discussing the differences before you change them across the whole
> > country.
> >

> > If I read this correctly, you are planning on changing the top-level tag
> > from shop=department_store to shop=supermarket.  I have been using
> > shop=supermarket only for Walmarts branded as "Walmart Neighborhood
> Market"
> > and using shop=department_store for all other Walmarts.  For me the main
> > distinction is that most Walmarts have departments for things like
> clothing
> > and electronics that don't exist in the "Walmart Neighborhood Market"
> > stores.
>
> This was my first thought as well but apparently we are wrong. The
> wiki is actually fairly clear about it:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dsupermarket
>
> Under the "Similar Tags" section on that page:
> "A department store that sells a full selection of groceries (e.g.
> Walmart Supercentre) which is often called a "hypermarket" should be
> tagged shop=supermarket"
>
> And over on the shop=department_store page it says that only
> non-supercenter stores should use the department_store tag.
>
> I'm not saying it makes sense to me... but this is apparently the
> convention. Decided upon by... someone :)
>
> Toby

OSM user andrewpmk added similar language in May 2015 to both the
shop=supermarket and shop=department_store wiki pages describing that a
shop=department_store becomes a shop=supermarket if there is a section for
selling fresh grocery items.  The wiki change comments don't give any
rationale for the new wording, and to me the idea is counterintuitive.  I
have attempted to communicate with user andrewpmk in the past, but never
received any response.  Is anyone aware of a discussion that took place
prior to introducing these changes to the wiki?

Thanks,
Peter