> In any case all of the above potentially lead to your private fork of the
> planet getting out of sync real fast with the original, implying that
> applying diffs will become
> more problematic over time.  So you wouldn't be able to take you fixed and
> known good planet fork, apply only good diffs, and expect to be able to
> continue to do that > for a year or so.
No, that's not the idea at all.  It's to download planet files regular,
identify problematic recent changes, revert only those.  You still need a
history to revert.  Contribute back to the OSM community what the problematic
attributes/object are, and a human can revert them.

> IMHO the only thing that could really work in the OSM model is reverting real
> fast in the -original- dataset.
Fixing the original dataset *is* paramount.  However, it's important to
understand that there's this transitional problem; that, any given version of
the dataset will have defects, and to catch the most egregious of these -
particularly from vandalism is really the only goal here.  Not every use of OSM
data will be pulled with high frequency from the database; there are offline
applications where it's "pull once, use for a few years".  You may be able to
rely on the community to repair persistent high-profile issues, but these
transitory issues are another matter.
> Naturally there is the other aspect that we want our contributors to gain
> experience and become better mappers over time. You are only going to get
> that if leave the > opportunity to make mistakes open and don't robo-fix
> everything that goes wrong

It's not robo-fixing, it's "robo-flagging for moderation".  Fundamentally
different thing.  Something that has be vetted could certainly violate any
rules this flagging uses.

-Alan