> On Sep 27, 2018, at 9:50 AM, Steve Friedl <st...@unixwiz.net> wrote:
>
> [trying this again]
>
> Good morning,
>
> I've never done a use-without-attribution case before, would like to get
> some suggestions before I dive in. I'm pretty sure this is a "substantial"
> violation.
>
> It seems that US News & World Report is using OSM data/maps without
> attribution in their Health website; my opthalmologist's page
>
> https://health.usnews.com/doctors/jared-younger-768369
>
> includes a map that I instantly recognized as OSM.  I make it a point to
> enhance the maps every time I have an appointment somewhere, and I had done
> substantial cleanup of the maps in the northeast corner of Brookhurst &
> Ellis in Fountain Valley.
>
> The *current* map doesn't look much like the one in the US News page:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/62921271#map=18/33.69463/-117.95174
>
> because of my subsequent changes, but - among other things - the spurious
> and incorrect segment of "Ellis Street" just below the main Ellis Street was
> leftover Tiger data that I'd fixed as well on changeset
>
> Digging in, it seems that US News runs their own tile server (example tile):
>
> https://maptile.usnews.com/tile0/12/707/1640.png
>
> so this is clearly them and not (say) Leaflet.
>
> Their terms & conditions page https://www.usnews.com/info/features/terms has
> a helpful email address copyrightag...@usnews.com that invites contacts
> about copyright issues.
>
> So, I think I should be following the procedure here:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lacking_proper_attribution
>
> with a polite note to them.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>
> Steve
>
> ---
> Steve Friedl // Software & Network Security Consultant // 714-345-4571
> st...@unixwiz.net // Southern California USA // I speak for me only

I can confirm that the map is based on OSM data: I scrolled down the coast to
where I live and the building shapes are the ones I entered which are, for my
house especially, slightly different than on other map providers. But I also
noticed that an area I updated over 6 months ago is not shown properly on this
US News map, so they apparently are working off of a fairly old copy of the
database.

Thanks for noticing this and for contacting them regarding attribution.

Tod