On 09.06.19 22:36, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 1:23 PM Nuno Caldeira
> <nunocapelocalde...@gmail.com <mailto:nunocapelocalde...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>     But what happens if the Foundation is taken over by people with
>>     commercial interests?
>>
>>       * You still own the rights to any data you contribute, not the
>>         Foundation. In the new Contributor Terms, you license the
>>         Foundation to publish the data for others to use and ONLY
>>         under a free and open license
>
> This got me thinking, particularly considering the license change a few
> years ago and what a fiasco that was.  What's protecting the map here?
> What's to stop a prolific contributor from taking their ball and going
> home, to the overall detriment of the map?

I wouldn't call the licence change a fiasco. It was a painful and
intense process, but it was almost surprisingly successful - at least
that was my personal impression.

Even more, the licence change and the new contributor terms sought to
avoid the problem where any individual contributor could decide to hold
the project hostage, or harm it - intentionally or not.

From https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Contributor_Terms :

"You hereby grant to OSMF a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive,
perpetual, irrevocable licence to do any act that is restricted by
copyright, database right or any related right over anything within the
Contents, whether in the original medium or any other. These rights
explicitly include commercial use, and do not exclude any field of
endeavour."

(there's much more on the page)

> To be clear, this /is not something I am going to to/.  For the sake of
> playing Devil's advocate, what is to stop me from, after nearly a
> decade, taking my data and going home?  This would leave a roughly 400
> kilometer wide hole centered in Tulsa, some serious breakage in metro
> Portland and thousands of pockmarks around the world.  If I were to pull
> out and take my data with me, it would swiss cheese the map.--
 Rihards