FWIW, the German wiki page for railway=halt has a section that acknowledges
that the German definition and international usage differ: "Outside the
German-speaking world, railway=halt is defined as an unimportation railway
station that only has the most basic equipment and isn't staffed (in
Germany this would correspond to railway station categories 6 to 7)."
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:railway%3Dhalt#Internationale_Definition

 Harald.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 10:23 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> According to the wiki page, railway=halt is mainly used for "A small
> station, may not have a platform, trains may only stop on request."
> The presence of points/switches is only significant in Germany.
>
> I would recommend reverting to railway=station for any which have
> platforms and are regularly scheduled places for the train to stop.
>
> -Joseph Eisenberg
>
> On 1/8/20, Clay Smalley <claysmal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Over the last few months, I've been doing some systematic improvements to
> > the passenger railway network across North America. Much of this has been
> > filling out public_transport=stop_area relations for every railway
> station,
> > including stop positions and platforms, as well as verifying the geometry
> > of the underlying railways and classifying them (usage=*, service=*). My
> > goal here is to prepare the map such that route relations can be more
> > meaningful and accurately describe which track each train uses.
> >
> > In the course of doing this, I got a tap on the shoulder [1] and found
> out
> > I was using a definition of railway=halt that may not match up with what
> > people were expecting. As far as I know now, railway=station was
> originally
> > intended for stations where trains are always scheduled to stop, and
> > railway=halt for flag stops (aka request stops). In the German OSM
> > community, there was a decision made for railway=halt to be used on
> > stations that are missing switches, which means trains cannot switch
> > tracks, terminate or reverse direction thereā€”a distinction more relevant
> > railway operations and scheduling. Naturally, there are quite a lot more
> of
> > these than flag stops.
> >
> > I'm in a predicament here. So far, I've mapped all Amtrak stations and
> > various commuter rail stations across the Northeast according to the
> > no-switches definition of halt. I'm happy to revert these back to
> stations
> > (wherever they aren't flag stops), though I'd like to hear others'
> thoughts
> > before going through with that.
> >
> > -Clay
> >
> > [1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/77959450

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565