Newby here.

Started mapping an area of the Idaho panhandle around the Kootenai
river. I notice that currently minor roads have a "County Road nn" name
but TIGER2019 data also has names such as "Acacia Avenue". I think most
map users would want to use the "Acacia Avenue" name as it what would be
listed in postal addresses and they'd want to search it in applications
such as OSMand. Question is how to handle this. Also, what to set the
"ref" to for county roads.

There's not much information on the roads tagging page:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging#Individual_states_2

Proposal: use alt_name for "County Road nn" and name for "Acacia Avenue"
where a name is given. (I've seen name_1 used but this is not really a
"standard" OSM tag, AFAIK.)

For ref: set the ref to the county road number until someone can come up
with a better proposal...

Any Idahoans have any information?