On 22/08/2020 02:35, Clay Smalley wrote:
For those who aren't following, the DWG recently decided on a two-day ban for the person who posted this, for the exact behavior they're exhibiting right now: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/3850

Indeed, and it wasn't done lightly - only after a very large number of public comments (in changesets  and block messages) and private messages (OSM PMs and emails) from the DWG.

It can sometimes be difficult to see how something that you see locally that appears "wrong" fits into a wider picture, but the way to resolve that is to try and understand the wider picture, not just to delete data that you don't understand and claim that others are "vandalising the map" by adding that data in the first place.  We do get "real" vandalism in OSM, but it is thankfully relatively rare - as an example, yesterday someone replaced a major US landmark with a priapic "artwork" that was swiftly reverted.

That "understanding the wider picture" involves asking why things are done as they are and listening to the answer, and if there's a local case that doesn't seem to fit discussing among a wider group of people how best to resolve the issue (as I've done with the PTv2 stop position issue).  Starting mailing list threads with "VANDALISM!" in the subject is unlikely to be helpful in doing that.

The converse of that is that sometimes people find "discussing among a wider group" difficult for whatever reason - I'd always try and understand and assist with that where possible (and have spent significant personal time doing so here) but sometimes clear lines have to be drawn about what is and what is not acceptable, and when they are crossed there needs to be a response.

Best Regards,

Andy (from the DWG)