>Protect area and National Park boundaries were supposed to be less difficult
>to confirm and more valid.

The NF administrative boundaries are basically impossible to verify
on-the-ground if that's the standard we are setting to demonstrate
verifiability. Typically, the only indication are the large welcoming
signs placed adjacent to major highways running through NF land, and
even then these typically aren't placed exactly on these boundaries.
For example, the administrative boundary for the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF
includes half the city of Reno, but none of this urban land is
protected at all, and there is zero on-the-ground indication of this
boundary.

> But if what we are going to start mapping in the USA is simply the federal
> ownership of land, that's just pure cadastre data. We might as well try to
> map all the private land parcels and keep that information accurate - but
> both tasks are too difficult, and the data is better provided by local
> governments directly.

I think this is a bit of a slippery slope argument. At least in
California, the NF land ownership boundaries are public record with no
copyright (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#United_States).
The boundaries of the federally-owned parcels *are* the protected
areas - you can't accurately map them without the parcel data here.
Using this data doesn't mean we have to start importing county parcel
data carte blanche.

If we shouldn't use land ownership because this relies on parcel data,
and the reason we don't use parcel data is because it is subject to
change and generally unverifiable on-the-ground, then we really
shouldn't be using NF administrative boundaries either since they are
likewise imported from easily accessed government data sources,
subject to change, and unverifiable on-the-ground.