On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:32 AM Brian Stromberg <brian.stromb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This contradicts the OSM wiki but seems like the only way to avoid
> confusion.

Much like sport=american_football vs sport=soccer, this makes sense.  Maybe
it's time to retire place=suburb as a tag due to its ambiguity?

> The only reason I can think of to use 'suburb' as a tag in the context of
> the United States would be if a tag indicating 'central city' or something
> similar was introduced.

Ostensibly, that's what place=city was supposed to be, but not helping OSM
would be that some places have cities and towns of different legal
importance (Oklahoma), or "it's a city or it's not a city" with no room for
nuance (Oregon).  Not making things any easier is how lopsided populations
are in the US, a midsize municipality is about 5500 people.  Once you get
to about 90,000, you're in the top 2% largest anything in the US.