From: Bernd Jendrissek [mailto:bernd.jendris...@gmail.com]
Sent: 12 June 2009 06:37 PM
To: Lance Burger
Cc: brendan barrett; Grant Slater; Openstreetmap ZA
Subject: Re: [OSM-Talk-ZA] State Copyright on "Spatial Information Products"

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Lance Burger<lance.bur...@mweb.co.za>
wrote:
> Using a copyrighted work as such is not an infringement (it is not an
> infringement to read a book which is subject to copyright), but both
> reproducing the work and making an adaptation of the work are
infringements
> in terms of section 7.

This is what confuses me: just using (in the sense of reading a book)
a copyrighted work is _never_ an infringement, assuming you legally
obtained that copy (which isn't in dispute).  So why is it even
mentioned that "Any ... may use such products and services without
obtaining specific authorisation"?  It reads more like a public
licence than an interpretation of copyright law.  To me anyway, and
I'm not a lawyer, you might be, so I'm asking for more patient
explanation :)

The "or parts thereof" also leaves me thinking that "using" includes
making derivative works.  The sentence or two describing the required
acknowledgement of State Copyright would also be moot if this was just
a matter of "reading a book".  "A suitable statement ...  must be
included with such product" seems to me to be contemplating said
person or private sector organisation (re)distributing a (possibly
derived) work.

"It depends on what the definition of 'is' is."