There are already some GPS traces in Rustenberg (you can download them in JOSM). They look like enough to get the imagery aligned properly (offset I got is 15.67; -14.89), and once you've done that then the OSM data seems to line up quite nicely.

Offset and rotation: Yahoo imagery also seems to have offset in some places; sometimes imagery (Bing and Y!) is sometimes rotated (so it lines up nicely in some places, and badly in others).

To make sure everything is lined up I normally get some GPS traces and align the imagery to that, then I check alignment again when I move to the next suburb.

It's possible that sometimes the person who created the OSM data used misaligned imagery (curse those offsets)!

Later -- Glen