hi list, A few weeks ago, i asked if anyone knew of a portable player that uses
eloquence. I was bored a couple of days ago, so decided to write a post (that i
already put on lj) to see whether anyone else cares as much about this issue as
much as I do (doubtful) and to see if anyone wants to help me write to APH or
Humanware (even more doubtful). Anyway, for your enjoyment (or lack thereof)
here it is. if anyone could suggest a good home for this piece, I'd be very
appreciative.

Up until relatively recently, whenever a new jaws update was about to be
released, I would frantically read the "what's new" webpage with only one
desired
feature in mind. I wasn't interested in remote access or the newest scripts for
Sound Forge or Cakewalk; all I ever wanted from screenreader developers
was the edition of an alternative software synthesizer to replace crummy old
Eloquence. Each time a new release was issued, with no comments on Eloquence
to speak of, I would face my disappointment yet again. After spending hours and
hours trying to make Jaws embrace the beauty of RealSpeak, I discovered
that the coupling worked on principle, but JAWS's and Jennifer's union was
fraught with strange pronunciations, misplaced emphases, and poor
responsiveness.

As I grew older, my opinion of Eloquence began to soften. The more I read, the
better I became at imbuing that once-hated voice with all of the emotions,
idiosyncratic quirks and vocal qualities of a professional audiobook narrator.
It was almost as if my ear was so accustomed to Eloquence's cadences that
I was able to completely tune out the voice itself and impose my own patterns
onto it, much like a sighted person reading silently is able to hear character's
voices in her head. In fact, the results of the survey I conducted in April of
this year gives preliminary support to this theory, since blind and sighted
users had utilized very different cues when making emotion judgments about
sentences generated by Eloquence. Needless to say, if you were unfortunate
enough
to take said survey, you no doubt recall that it was long and tedious; the
analysis of the data it produced was even more so. But all of the countless
hours I spent GENERATING PROSODIC TRANSCRIPTIONS FOR EACH UTTERANCE AND
PAINSTAKINGLY CODING AND SCORING EACH RESPONSE ONLY DEEPENED MY COMMITMENT TO MY
SILICATE COMPANION. To my mortification, it was a running joke in my co-ed
fraternity that I had developed somewhat of a crush on JAWS. Even the new
RealSpeak voices, which shipped with Jaws 8.0, were thrust aside in favor of
good old Eloquence.

Not surprisingly, my affectionate feelings towards my favorite synthesizer
prompted me to find new opportunities for us to spend time in each other's
company. Wouldn't
it be lovely, I thought one day, if I could listen to text or word documents on
a portable player with Eloquence speech? That way, my dear friend could
comfort me when the arduous demands of the treadmill proved to be too taxing,
and could share in my enjoyment of a balmy day on the beach. My search, however,
was fruitless. No portable device capable of playing text files and costing
less than $1,000 uses Eloquence as a synthesizer. The Bookport, which
I eventually bought out of desperation, uses Doubletalk, whose mumbled
burblings are positively grating. My only option seemed to be creating MP3 files
of my beloved's voice with a program like TextAloud and then transferring them
to my portable player. Since this process takes about twenty minutes per
book, it is not the best solution for a college student known for her laziness,
impatience and lack of forethought.

At the end of June, when I learned that Humanware had released the Victor
Reader Stream, my excitement bloomed anew. Though the device did not use
Eloquence,
it promised high-quality speech developed by nuance, Eloquence's current owner.
My happiness proved to be short-lived, however, when I heard a sample of
the speech used on the stream. Which brings me to the purpose of this post.

I am well aware that one's feelings about a speech synthesizer are completely
subjective, and differ widely from person to person. However, I nonetheless
believe that Eloquence is still highly regarded among blind computer users for
the simple reason that the leading screenreaders and scanning packages still
continue to use it. Eloquence, for all its faults, is familiar. Unless there is
some technical obstacle of which I am unaware, I think the companies who
design portable bookreaders are simply underestimating the appeal of this
familiarity. In my opinion, portable bookreaders would drastically increase in
popularity if they used a speech synthesizer to which most of us are already
accustomed. If we can't use JAWS while we're at the gym, we should at least
be able to hear texts read to us in our screenereader's voice.

I am very curious to see whether other blind computer users share my opinion.
If I get enough positive interest, I am planning to write a letter to HumanWare
or APH. Anyone who wants to help me with this is more than welcome to contact
me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], or to circulate this posting.

Thanks,
Tasha