I must admit to not knowing this either. Where do you find such things out? Thanks for sharing though. I suppose it's a bit like Thomas Crapper making the WC. WE have so many terms for fecal matter, problems, moments and ideas don't we?

On Monday, June 02, 2008 5:07 PM,
Amy Billman happened to mention in passing:

The History of Manure
 You learn something everyday...here's your lesson:

 Manure:  In the 16th and 17th centuries,  everything had to be
transported by ship and it was also before  commercial fertilizer's
invention, so large
shipments of manure were common.

 It  was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than
when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier,
but the process
of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane  gas. As
the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and
did) happen.

 Methane  began to build up below decks and the first time someone came
below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

 Several  ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined
just what was happening.   After  that, the bundles of manure were
always stamped
with the term 'Ship High In Transit' on them, which meant for the
sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water
that came into the
hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of
methane.

 Thus  evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transport) which has
come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

 You probably did not know the true history of this  word.

 Neither  did I.

 ,,,I had always thought it was a golf term.........

"If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a water gun and shoot
other people in the eyes. If life gives you lemons, stick them down your
shirt and make your boobs look bigger."
Amy Billman
Email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]